Monday, July 23, 2007

I'll take life w/out tv for $100...

It has officially been one month since I've had television. Scratch that, I have had a television (my faithful 19 inch, non-surround, non-HD, non-flatscreen tv that I've had since college), but I haven't subscribed to a cable provider and so only get fuzzy stations where I think they are playing basketball or perhaps its rugby...

Initially, this was not a planned jaunt into solitude and meditation - Comcast hasn't serviced our newly constructed subdivision. And so, being the mature and outstanding adult that I am, I proceeded to harass & become one of Comcast's 10 worst customers. I thought that it should have encouraged them - that their product/service was so good that customers were literally willing to beat down their doors. However, it didn't seem to impress them as it did me - so I was forced into a wait...

In the meantime, I've finished several books & magazines that were collecting dust. I've also completed more projects around the house than I had ever dreamed possible in a week. I've taken up walking with my wife and "gasp", actually had time to sit, eat breakfast and pray in the absolute silence. It's creepy, but in a good and rejuvenating way.

I realized yesterday that I suddenly understood those people that are captives of the busy American life and then one day they disappear only to be found living in a shack in Iowa growing their own food and writting incredibly wise proverbs.

I'm not so keen on writing or living in a shack for that matter, but perhaps I'll give this small disconnect from the hectic American life a try. I'll keep you posted on the progress

No comments: