Saturday, July 28, 2007

Thirsty?

I’m ashamed. I drink bottled water. You probably do too. I’m not an addict by any means – luckily I’m too cheap to purchase bottled water on a regular basis but I’ve still had my fair share. I just finished reading an article by Charles Fishman in Fast Company magazine and here are some of the startling statistics:
- if the water we use at home cost what even sheap bottled water costs, our monthly water bills would run $9,000.
- 24% of the bottled water we buy is tap water repackaged by Coke and Pepsi
and the kicker…
- Fiji water produces more than a million bottles a day, while more than half the people in Fiji do not have reliable drinking water.
Ugh…the guilt feeling – see what I mean?? I don’t personally believe that just because I was ignorant before makes me less responsible for the repercussions of my choices. (Double Ugh) So now what - I guess it's back to the drinking fountain?

1 comment:

jon arnold said...

i read somewhere that fiji water is made by pumping pure water out of local sources - 24/7, with three giant DIESEL engines.... terrible.